Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Two Weddings: A Comparison.

So, I've married the same man twice.

Yep, it's true.

I'm afraid that I don't have enough time, or energy, or desire to discuss how that all came to be, but I would like to take this opportunity to do something of a formal comparison of the two weddings that we have had.

Here goes:

PARTICIPANTS:

Wedding one: Me and Bobby

Wedding two: Ditto.

OFFICIALS:
Wedding one: A justice of the peace whose name was Deathridge. Really.
Wedding two: I can't remember his name. He was nice, though.


SETTING:
Wedding one: Said JOP's living room. There was MTV on for ambiance, and a rather large rebel flag hanging over the mantle.
Wedding two: A lovely balcony overlooking a waterfall.


DATE:
Wedding one: Sometime in May, 1994. The fact that I couldn't ever remember the date did not exactly bode well for the longevity of the marriage.
Wedding two: June 3, 2004. Almost exactly 10 years after the first one.


ATTIRE:
Wedding one: He wore khakis, I wore a dress with a floral pattern. I also wore sensible shoes, as I was late for work and had to hurry to get there (For additional information on this, see HONEYMOON).
Wedding two: He wore shorts. I wore a skirt of some kind, and I believe it was black.

ATTENDANTS:
Wedding one: His best friend from high school and his college roommate. I didn't invite anyone, because no one else knew that we were getting married.
Wedding two: No one but us and the official. Some nice lady acted as our other witness for the low, low price of $50.


HONEYMOON:
Wedding one: As mentioned above, I was late for work, so immediately following the wedding I rushed to get to my 10 hour shift at Wendy's. Bobby and the attendants went to Chi-Chi's and got really drink on $.99 margaritas.
Wedding two: A lovely cabin in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. However, mere seconds after the ceremony, the skies opened up and in rained and hailed for several minutes. For those of you who are familiar with the literary term foreshadowing, this would seem to be some sort of sign, wouldn't it?

OFFICIAL WEDDING PHOTO:
Wedding one: Didn't happen. I was too busy trying to get my Wendy's uniform on.
Wedding two: I don't believe this really needs an explanation, now does it?



OUTLOOK:
Wedding one: Poor. We lasted somewhere around five years the first go around.
Wedding two: Better. We now have a shared mortgage, a shared retirement fund, and a shared Kid. It's likely he would be harder to get rid of this time.



Till next time,


No comments: